Being the mom of two teenage boys, men’s health is very important to me. It happens to be Men’s Health Month, although there hasn’t been much mention of it, has there? There’s a major fanfare of awareness brought to women’s health, breast cancer prevention, in particular, which is important but I’m really happy to see some focus being directed to men’s health, it’s absolutely just as important.
- Roughly 1 in 7 male Americans will be diagnosed with prostate cancer in their lifetime, 97% of them, over the age 50
Let’s stop and talk about this one for a minute. Screening is important and often life saving as it was in actor Ben Stiller’s case. However, Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) test is a blood test that measures a specific protein produced by the prostate. Elevated levels potentially mean prostate cancer but medical experts don’t advise aggressive treatment since it can be a false positive so active monitoring is key. The New England Journal Of Medicine Conducted a landmark study found no statistical difference between active monitoring and observation and surgery in reducing deaths. Discuss all your options with your doctor.
- When detected early enough, prostate cancer is 99% curable. Know the symptoms and be proactive. There is a 97 success rate of survival with early detection. If it’s detected late, there’s only a 26% survival rate past five years
- The likelihood of a man being diagnosed with prostate cancer is 35% higher than that of a woman being diagnosed with breast cancer. Surprising, isn’t it?
- Chances are even higher in African American men
- A man dies from prostate cancer every 17.5 seconds
- Dr. Josh Axe says that Saw Palmetto is beneficial for prostate health and hair loss. The European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) recently conducted a study that revealed increasing your intake of vitamin K2 may cut the risk of prostate cancer by 35%. Where do you get K2? Cheese, egg yolks, chicken breast, chicken liver (if you can stand it), butter, salami (not exactly a health food), natto and ground beef. Need a good gift idea for Father’s Day? The Pure Haven men’s line is fantastic. Click here to check it out and order.
- Only 10% of all cancers are genetic and nearly 50% of premature deaths among men are preventable
- Think you’re too young to take it seriously? The most common cancer in men ages 15 – 35 is testicular cancer
- Nearly 8,000 men in the U.S. will be diagnosed this year
- Testicles should not sag, this could indicate too much heat from the veins. Small is not normal. Hardness is a red flag
- The good news is that the survival rate is 90% if caught early so get screened, go for your yearly physicals and learn how to self exam, ok guys?
- MEN NEED TO USE CLEAN NON TOXIC PERSONAL CARE ITEMS TOO! Seriously. You guys may not use as many personal stuff as we chicks do but you use enough – like shampoo, deodorant, soap, shaving cream, etc. that it does matter. Choose clean personal care products.
- Bonus fact: A mere 10% reduction in weight reduces your risk of various weight related diseases by 50%! Maintaining an ideal weight is vital for optimal health. Is your BMI too high? Let’s get you to a healthy weight! Click here to book your complimentary Eco Wellness Consultation . I’ll evaluate you and give you a crystal clear plan with key steps to get weight off for good. You can check your BMI here.
In the meantime, grab my FREE Healthy Eating On The Go guide with simple tips and habits along with several delicious, nutritious options to grab and go when you are pressed for time.
Avoiding personal care products containing carcinogens is one of the best ways to prevent cancer as well as other illnesses and health issues. It is so important to stay away from products that have endocrine disruptors like parabens. They can seriously mess with your entire endocrine system and mimic the body’s natural hormones increasing the risk of certain cancers.
The ingredients in most personal care items that men use are just as toxic as the ones we women use so do yourself a favor and products that do not contain harmful ingredients. Wondering which harmful ingredients to avoid? Here is a list of the most commonly used.
Healthy guys are sexy