5 children a day die from child abuse and neglect in this country #FiveTooMany. 80% of those children are under the age of 4. Sadly, that number is growing, 15 years ago it was 3 children a day.
What’s worse is that there are actually 3 times more children than that being killed at the hands of their abuser because this statistic does not account for all of the cases that go unrecorded.
April is Child Abuse Prevention Month
There are several organizations working hard to help children. Child Help has been dedicated to preventing child abuse and neglect and helping its victims since 1959 . The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children provides necessary resources and information to parents, victims and law enforcement.
PROTECT is a national association providing political strength and leadership for the protection of abused, exploited, and neglected children. Your time or financial assistance will be put to good use with any of these organizations.
Help Spread This is raising awareness by encouraging those on Twitter to donate 1 tweet a day in an effort to stop child abuse. Another easy way to help is visiting Click to Give, ad money raised will go to Child Help.
It is estimated that there are 3 times more incidents of child abuse than the 3.3 million cases reported each year
Writing this post was difficult. The images I saw and the stories I read about innocent little children who need love and nurturing but get instead get brutalized moved me to tears.
- Approximately 60% of child fatalities that are caused by mistreatment are not listed as such on their death certificates
- Children who experience child abuse & neglect are 59% more likely to be arrested as a juvenile, 28% more likely to be arrested as an adult, and 30% more likely to commit violent crime
- About 80% of 21 year olds that were abused as children met criteria for at least one psychological disorder
- Up to two-thirds of people being treated for drug abuse report being neglected or abused when they were children
- More than 90% of victims are acquainted with their abuser in some way
- The vicious cycle of abuse continues as about 30% of those abused and neglected will go on to abuse their own children
Child Welfare Information Gateway promotes safety and welfare of children and families by connecting them with proper resources and tools. #StopChildAbuse
National Child Abuse Hotline: 1.800.4.A.Child (1.800.422.4453)