- Enjoy Your Vino Think recycling that wine bottle is a waste of time? Think again. Sand must be heated to 2600 degrees to make glass. Each glass bottle you recycle saves enough energy to keep a 100-watt bulb burning for four hours!
- Recycle Already! You’d think everyone does by now but not enough people recycle everything they should. We only recycle about 39% of the 250 tons of waste we generate each day. If we could get that number up to at least 80% we would save huge amounts of energy and water. Not only would we have a cleaner environment but it would actually create millions of jobs according to the EPA. “Recycling in and of itself would become a supply chain in our country, a very domestic one. Although it sounds simple but when you see those recycling bins, when people start to talk about recycling think of it as a homegrown jobs program and an environmental program and an energy program and a water program all in one!” -Lisa P. Jackson, 12th Head of The EPA (EPA Administrator)
- Save Your Manicure and time by using an energy star dishwasher. The U.S. Department of Energy says this saves 5,000 more gallons of water a year than hand washing. Hand washing is SUCH a pain in the a** anyway!
- Steer clear of traditional dry cleaners Even trace amounts of the commonly used solvent perchloroethylene [perc] they use has been labeled as a ‘likely human carcinogen’ by the EPA. Start patroning green dry cleaners or don’t buy as much ‘dry clean only’ clothing. You’ll save money and the environment – women spends roughly $1500 a year on dry cleaning bills
- Read A Book Turns out making an eReader takes nearly as many emissions as making about 20 books so in the first year it’s about the same but over the course of even a few years it does save energy and of course trees
Leave a Reply