I hope 2018 is off to a wonderful start for you! I began my year on a family cruise to the Mexican Riviera which was fabulous. I was offline for most of the week, no wifi at sea. It felt so good to take a break, have fun with loved ones, unwind & unplug! The average person checks they’re phone 50 – 300 times a day. It was nice to not have the temptation. I highly recommend taking a tech break whenever possible, even if it’s just for a day.
I love the holidays so I do get a tad blue as they come to an end but there is something very exciting about starting fresh with a brand new year and diving into a world of new possibilities.
Most of us want to make changes when a new year begins; those changes typically involve getting healthier. This could be losing weight, exercising regularly, quit smoking, eating more fruits and veggies, adding a meditation practice… You know I take a very holistic approach to wellness so I advocate all those goals and I am here to help you reach them.
My suggestion? Go non toxic. Most people don’t realize how important it is to reduce our body’s toxic burden. Toxicity levels in our system can wreak havoc on our health.
A healthy, eco friendly lifestyle is not a luxury. Detoxing your lifestyle is simply not an option if you want to be healthy.
The truth is, we live in an extremely toxic world. Being healthy requires detoxing our personal care and beauty routines and our home environments. The good news, it’s really not difficult and I am here to help you do it.
The other fantastic thing about adopting this particular healthy habit is that you don’t have to give up any of your favorite foods or start some intense workout routine to reap the benefits. It’s easier than trying to lose weight or change your diet or get in shape. Seriously!
Whether you are just beginning your green non toxic journey or you are already living a pretty clean life but want to go further, all steps to detoxing will improve your health. Period.
The healthiest individuals make detoxing a natural part of their daily routine.
Even small changes will make a difference. Here are a few things you can start doing this year to detox and improve your health:
- Start your day with a detoxifying drink. A cup of warm water with the juice of 1 organic lemon will set you up with a healthy start to your day by helping to flush the kidneys, aid digestion, boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, balance pH levels and the acidity stimulates liver to produce acids that help detox the body… how about all those benefits without much work?! Oh and you’ll also get a nice dose of potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, vitamin B and C and other antioxidants, which all help combat wrinkles savvy girls!
- Ecofy your cleaning routine Use products that do not contain harmful toxins to clean your home, car and office. Just like using non toxic personal care products, this is far healthier for the environment and your family
- Steer clear of Bisphenol A. I have written about the dangers of BPA in several posts over the years. It’s found in everything from plastic containers to the lining of canned foods to cash register receipts. BPA is problematic because it imitates estrogen so it disrupts our endocrine system and messes with hormones. It’s been associated with many cancers including breast cancer. The truth is, most plastic has estrogenic chemicals so it’s healthy to avoid plastic as much as possible.
- Toss toxic air fresheners Exposure even just once a week can increase your odds of developing asthma by as much as 71% and can contribute to an increase in pulmonary diseases. Plus there is no evidence that they disinfect the air in any way but research is showing that chemicals in these products harm us. Try Master Blaster, it eliminates odors and blasts stain (even tough laundry stains!) or John Desilvia‘s natural version instead: 2 T baking soda, 5 drops of essential oil, 2 C water in a spray bottle.
- For the love of all that’s good in the world, DITCH TOXIC DEODORANT & ANTIPERSPIRANT! They contain parabens (which mimic the body’s natural hormones increasing the risk of breast and other cancers) and aluminum. Both have been found in breast cancer tissue. Our underarms absorbs even more than other areas of our skin. Want a safe, healthy alternative that actually works ALL day and night? You’ll find it here in my list of clean personal care products that I approve.
You know sipping your daily h20 intake from plastic water bottles is no good because of the BPA and phthalates not to mention how horrible they are for the environment. Another disposable item habit to break is coffee pods, 30 million go to the land fills each day. Start using reusable K-cups for Keurig. You’ll save money and help out the beautiful environment!
There you have it, a new year’s detox that doesn’t require fasting or juicing for a cleanse. How about that? Pretty easy way to detox, right?!
Want even more great tips on how to reduce the toxins in your home with ease and live a healthier, more eco friendly lifestyle in 2018? Grab my free healthy home checklist, The Savvy Girl’s Guide To Eco Friendly Living: Detoxify Your Home In 10 Easy Steps 🌿
And if you want to green your beauty routine grab The Savvy Girl’s Guide To Looking Younger Without Toxic Chemicals In 10 Easy Steps.
I am ready to start this new year with a bang, how about you?! I am developing some very exciting things that I can’t wait to share with you.