Going green with your beauty and personal care routine will help you make significant improvements in your health and in the way you look. But it can be confusing, can’t it? It’s not easy to know what to do, which products to use, which methods really work and which resources to trust.
You want to look your best naturally and achieve a more youthful appearance without slathering yourself with harmful chemicals, right? You can! Ditch the toxins with my free beauty checklist, The Savvy Girl’s Guide To Looking Younger Without Toxic Chemicals In 10 Easy Steps.
This cheat sheet gives you simple, actionable tips that you can start right away to look & feel hotter & even more more fabulous than you already are 🌸
I’ve done the research, I’ve tested methods and products galore. I want to share my top organic beauty secrets with you. These tips go way beyond skincare products to help you look & feel your best.
I also want to prevent you from getting greenwashed. What is greenwashing? It is when companies display insincere concern for our health & the environment claiming their products are clean when they actually are not.
Are you ready to turn back the clock naturally, look younger, improve your health & feel better without using unsafe products? Here’s How In 10 easy Steps
Your journey to organic beauty & wellness starts now! Click here or enter your name & email below and your FREE checklist will be delivered right to your inbox.
A votre sante! 💜
15 Things You Can Do To PREVENT Breast Cancer
Only 10% of all cancers are genetic, even breast cancer is not usually caused by a genetic predisposition. A mere 15% of breast cancer patients actually have a family history. We must look at lifestyle habits in order to prevent this terrible disease ~ what we are eating, breathing and what we are putting on our skin.
- Eat less red meat. A study published in the BMJ that followed 89, over a 20 year period revealed that women who had an average of 1.5 servings of red meat each day had a 22% higher chance of breast cancer over women who limited their red meat intake to once a week. With each addition daily serving of red meat, the risk appeared to increase by 13%
- Avoid parabens. You know how I feel about parabens if you’ve been reading my blog for a while. Use cosmetics and sunscreen that are formulated without them because parabens mimic the body’s natural hormones increasing the risk of breast and other cancers. They are found in 99% of breast cancer tissue samples.
- Hit the gym, lace up those running shoes , pop in a work out DVD – choose some type of physical activity because just 30 minutes of exercise each day reduces your chance of getting breast cancer. Plus exercise boosts t-cells that help your immune system work at full capacity
- Stay at a healthy weight. Exercise also helps keep your body fat percentage in check. Too much fat on our bodies creates hormones, particularly estrogen, which has been found to stimulate cancer
- Garlic, turmeric and cruciferous vegetables including brussels sprouts, kale, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and bok choy are good breast cancer fighters because they bind estrogen in your GI tract
- A study showed that drinking 3 cups of green tea a day can reduce risk of breast cancer by 50%
Survival rates are at an all-time high for those with breast cancer. In the last 20 years, there has been a 30% reduction in mortality and over 90% of breast cancer patients survive after 5 years with early diagnosis.
- Steer clear of Bisphenol A. I have written about the dangers of BPA in several posts. It’s found in everything from plastic containers to the lining of canned foods to cash register reciepts. BPA is problematic because it imitates estrogen so it disrupts our endocrine system and messes with hormones. It’s been associated with many cancers including breast cancer
- Choose lean protein. Replace those red meat meals with nuts, beans, organic chicken and low mercury fish such as wild caught salmon
- Pesticides can also affect the way your hormones react so buy organic when possible, use green cleaning products and stay away from hand sanitizers & soaps containing the endocrine disruptor triclosan. This cousin to agent orange is classified as a pesticide
- Ask your doctor about taking the active form of vitamin D3 with K, 1000 iu’s a day may slash your risk of breast cancer up to 50%
Approximately 20 – 30% of breast cancers recur. The most common places it metastasizes are the bone, lungs, liver and brain
- HER-2 is a rare but aggressive form of the disease. Another study found that eating lots of raw salad veggies dropped the risk of developing it by close to 35%
- Curb your alcohol intake to no more than one drink a day. Studies show that over imbibing on a regular basis increases the risk factor
- Breastfeed. It’s been shown to lower risk and it boosts infants health and immune system
- Know your family history. While Only 15% of breast cancer patients have a family history, if you do, your risk is higher so you need to know and take precautions
- Get screened. Early detection is the key. Be sure to conduct monthly self exams and seek proper screening based on your age group and family history. You may need an ultrasound or sonogram in addition to a mammogram. The most effective type of mammography is the Genius 3D which has been found to detect 41% more invasive cancers and is proven to detect cancer 15 months earlier. Tell your doctor you’d like that one, it’s available in every state.
- This is a bonus tip but perhaps one of the most important: For the love of all that’s good in the world, DITCH THE TOXIC DEODORANT & ANTIPERSPIRANT! Parabens and Aluminum have been found in breast cancer tissue. Want a safe, healthy alternative that actually works ALL day and night? You’ll find it here. *Please share this info ~ Tweet this, post on FB & Google+, Pin it & forward to all the women and men in your life, yes, men can get breast cancer too*
It is beyond time to put a stop to all the abhorrent Pinkwashing that goes on every October. Raising awareness for breast cancer research and prevention is important, I applaud companies that raise real funds. HOWEVER, isn’t it horrendously hypocritical of certain companies to sell products with ingredients that have been shown to CAUSE BREAST CANCER?!
Everywhere you turn in October companies are Pinkwashing us by claiming to be in support of breast cancer research while using ingredients that are mammary carcinogens, or carcinogenic contaminants that behave as endocrine disrupting compounds in our bodies, causing hormonal imbalance. As the Gerson Institute calls it, ‘carcinogens for the cure.’ True that.
“Pinkwashing – verb 1. the sale of items containing known carcinogens, while marketing these products in support of breast cancer awareness 2. also, capitalizing on the promotion of breast cancer prevention when only concerned about bottom line profit margin.”
It’s said that Evelyn Lauder’s dream was to end breast cancer. Why doesn’t the company jump off the breast cancer awareness bandwagon and honor her memory by reformulating their products WITHOUT harmful cancer causing ingredients?! L’Oreal, Proctor & Gamble and many others do it too. How do they sleep at night?!
According to the Breast Cancer Fund, which is doing amazing work in the name of prevention, “thousands of chemicals linked to breast cancer in scientific studies.”
Avon’s part in all of this is perplexing. They raise millions with their walk, have created a “Center of Excellence” in breast care and claim the mission of the Avon Comprehensive Breast Care Program at San Francisco General Hospital is to ‘provide comprehensive breast care, education and research in a compassionate and culturally sensitive environment.’
WHY, then, do their products contain MANY known CARCINOGENS??!! The Avon 2 in 1 Cleanser is a NINE on the EWG database & has TEN carcinogens. Fucking insane.
Interested in a site that actually helps patients? Various companies offer patients free items such as scarves, make up, house cleaning, hats, wigs, etc. Breast cancer survivor Bethany Kandell created Breatcancerfreebies.com where patients can go to find items they can receive. You can make a donation on the site as well.
This is disturbing but so important for parents everywhere to be aware. Even if your kids are toddlers, they’ll be tweens one day. Jamie is 13 and hasn’t even kissed a girl. But he’s now on the Sex Offender Register after online porn warped his mind… A cautionary tale.
Clean your home without inhaling harmful chemicals or spending much money at all. All you need are the things listed in this article. Put These Five Nontoxic Essential Ingredients In Your Cupboard!
I’ve been hearing about the wonders of ghee for a long time so I finally bought some. Now I just have to start using it! Ayurvedics have long known the wonderful benefits, it’s time everyone learn the 15 Amazing Benefits Of Ghee.
Who doesn’t love a great beach day? This California girl sure does! Surfers and beach combers beware. Some beaches need some serious cleaning up. If everyone was kinder to the environment they wouldn’t be so bad. You might want to see if your favorite is on this list before you hit the beach this summer Top Dirtiest Beaches In America
Many adults have issues with acne so I thought this might be helpful for those of you dealing with this frustrating skin condition What Your Skin Breakouts Are Telling You. Often times it’s the chemicals in personal care products that cause our skin to react. Try a skin care line free of toxic chemicals like Pure Haven Essentials, several people are OFF toxic Proactive thanks to this line.
You may have already seen this video, perhaps even on this site. I try to post it once a year since it’s such important info. If not, take a few minutes today to watch, you’ll be glad you did. It might shock you and it will certainly enlighten you.
This video sums everything up so powerfully! “We are trashing the environment, we are trashing each other, and we are not even having fun..” Toxic chemicals in our personal care products are a HUGE issue!
If you want pure, safe, luxurious personal care products for you and your kids that do NOT contain harmful ingredients, my favorite line is Pure Haven Essentials. No green washing with this company, their products are truly safe and effective (and affordable!) which is why I sell is on my site. Check out the video & let me know what your favorite clean, safe products are in the comments section. I’m always looking for suggestions!
I’ve been slathering coconut oil all over my body and cooking with it for years. To reap its many health and eco friendly beauty benefits, use high quality unrefined organic cold pressed virgin coconut oil.
- Coconut oil strengthens the immune system.
- Coconut oil has a high smoke point so it’s ideal to cook with. Its antiviral and anti-fungal properties prevent it from oxidizing so it won’t go rancid at a high heat like other oils. Dr. Mercola says that although it is a saturated fat, the fats are small/medium chain fats so they diffuse and provide energy.
- Coconut oil is an amazing natural moisturizer, it works wonders on dry skin and has been shown to firm skin and help prevent wrinkles. Apply it directly or mix it with your favorite facial and body moisturizers.
- It has strong anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-viral properties so it helps fight infections in the body and on the skin.
- Dr. Oz says 1 tablespoon a day will boost your energy level. It goes directly to the brain so it’s quickly used as energy rather than being stored like most fats. Try it on toast and in recipes instead of butter.
- Coconut oil has excellent anti-inflammatory properties, it’s high in lauric acid so it boosts metabolism and may help with weight loss.
- It helps control blood sugar, aids thyroid function and helps the body absorb calcium and magnesium.
- Coconut oil is a great conditioner for your hair. Massage it into your scalp, work it onto the ends of your hair, leave it in for about 30 minutes then wash and condition your hair as usual. I saw a friend at a party and thought her hair looked especially beautiful, she surprisingly attributed it to advice that I had given her a month earlier: coconut oil.
- Its anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties make it fantastic for use on diaper rash and cradle cap in infants.
- Countries whose diets include high amounts have been shown to have lower rates of heart disease. However, because it is saturated, it can raise cholesterol levels. This is the controversial aspect of coconut oil to keep in mind and talk to your doctor regarding concerns if you have cholesterol issues
- Oil pulling with it whitens teeth and keeps your mouth healthy and kissable. Swish it around for 20 minutes first thing in the morning then rinse and brush your teeth.
Guest post by Cassie Brewer
Your hair is your crowning glory, it should be beautiful and bright just like your diamond rings. Achieving tantalizing tresses is a lot like looking after your skin. Follow this natural routine and you’ll enjoy good hair days every day.
- Shift Your Shampoo Routine You shouldn’t wash your hair daily, 2 – 3 times a week is plenty. When you apply shampoo, take time to massage your scalp. This is an important step because it boosts blood flow to the scalp, which stimulates your hair’s natural oils that coat the hair and let it shine.
2. Use a High-Gloss Conditioner Conditioner is a must to ensure smoother hair and coconut oil is a brilliant deep conditioner that promotes softness and shine thanks to its fatty acids. Just a small amount is all you need for detangled, gorgeous hair. Apply, leave on for at least 30 minutes then shampoo.
3. Eat Foods that Promote Shine For extra gloss, consume foods that have smoothing properties. Besides ensuring you eat several servings of fruits and vegetables every day (which is also vital for all-round health), eat foods rich in omega-3, such as salmon and tuna.
These boost your hair’s health, making it glow. L-cysteine also makes your hair healthier. This amino acid makes up 18% of your hair and forms keratin, a protein your hair needs to grow healthily. You can find L-cysteine in eggs, poultry, and dairy.
4. Brush Twice Daily You want to brush your hair twice a day, just like your teeth! But make sure that you brush your hair at the bottom first and then work your way up. Brushing your hair distributes its natural oils so that it doesn’t become dry. Make sure you clean your brushes at least once a month with some lukewarm water and baking soda.
5. Switch to Air-Drying For stronger hair that looks healthy, start letting your hair dry naturally. If you simply must use heated tools, limit their use to once or twice a week max.
6. Slap on the Sunscreen Choose products with SPF protection for your hair so that when you’re spending time outdoors enjoying summer you’re not putting your hair at risk of becoming weak and dry from all the heat it absorbs.
7. Look After Your Skin Your hair is a halo surrounding your face, the right color and shine can enliven your complexion. Take care of your skin with safe products and healthy habits, such as not smoking and eating nutritious meals – the bonus is that these habits will also benefit your hair.
Guest post by Naomie Pierre
- Keep Things Shaded
Most of us have heard by now that it’s smart to use sunscreen and stay out of the sun for long periods of time when possible. However, experts are finding that avoiding sun all together can be harmful. It actually does the body good to take in a little sun each day, you’ll get a natural dose of vitamin D. Morning exposure has the least harmful rays. The sun’s rays are strongest between the hours of 10 am to 4 pm. So, try stay out of the sun during those hours or seek shade and wear a hat. It’s also important to use sunscreen that does not contain harmful chemicals.
- Avoid Smoking
We know that smoking cigarettes is one of the worst things you can do for your health but it’s also one of the worst things you can do for your skin. Taking in the heated, chemically-infected air of a cigarette dries out the skin, makes the skin appear aged and adds to the creation of wrinkles. Smoke decreases blood flow to the exterior layers of the skin which takes away important nutrients and oxygen. In addition, the components that aid in youthful, tight skin – collagen and elastin – are also destroyed by smoke. Another way that smoking wreaks havoc on the skin is by the same facial gestures being done over and over again as required by a repetitive habit like smoking. These facial gestures will eventually become wrinkles.
- Be Kind To Your Skin
Despite what many facial cleansing companies might tell you, it’s actually very damaging to the skin to wash it too frequently. It is also harmful to use water that is too hot, soaps that are too strong (they strip oil from the skin), or to dry with too much gusto. Instead, pat your skin dry, use mild cleansers without toxic ingredients and be sure to moisturize every day.
- Eat Plenty Of Fruits And Vegetables
Mother Nature’s resource for vitamins is one of our great friends when it comes to helping our skin shine. By eating organic vegetables and fruit, you are aiding your cells in staying healthy and being able to fight off pollutants, sun damage, free radical and acne outbreaks.
If you want truly safe, organic personal care & household products that contain NO synthetic fragrance or harmful chemicals try
The main element in this line may be love but a prominent element is aromatherapy. It’s infused into the entire line to not only nourish the hair and scalp but also ‘awaken the senses.’ This aspect was highly important to creator, Tyrika Williams, a licensed massage therapist who knows about the benefits of aromatherapy.
Mainelement:Love Aloe Conditioner made my hair soft, silky and feeling healthy. It even gave it some shine. My hair is pretty healthy and soft, it’s not coarse or frizzy so I would only use this once or twice a week but it can be used everyday and as a leave-in conditioner. It nourishes the cuticles and hair shaft with panthenol and wheat protein. If your hair is dry, brittle, damaged, color treated then use it more often and it will help get it back in good shape.
I’m loving the aromatherapy aspect, it has a delicious vanilla mint scent. You know those yummy mints they give out at nice restaurants? That’s what the smell reminds me of!
Check out their whole botanical hair care line which includes herbal shampoo bars, conditioners, hair tea rinse, and herbal styling balms made with essential oils, natural butters and botanical herbs.
I’m happy to report that most of the ingredients are clean, no toxins that are of very high concern. It does, however, contain a few ingredients that rate 4 on the EWG cosmetic data base. On their scale of 0-10, 4 is considered moderate concern. I’d rather all of them be no higher than a 1 but fortunately the rest of the ingredients are clean.
It’s important to note that it doesn’t contain sulphates which are not only harmful but they severely dry hair out and strip the color.
One of my lucky readers will win a bottle of this fab conditioner and soon be sporting soft, healthy hair. Enter to win today! Good luck!