There has been more bad news about Bisphenol A (BPA) than just about any other substance over the last few years but some people still are unaware of just how hazardous it is. Several studies have sited the dangers of BPA and it’s harmful effects on our health even at low doses. It imitates estrogen so it disrupts our endocrine system and messes with our hormones. It’s been associated with breast and prostate cancer, heart disease, premature puberty, neurological problems in infants, male sexual dysfunction, miscarriage, fertility problems, obesity, liver abnormalities and diabetes.
Even the American Medical Association (AMA) has reported that it officially recognizes BPA as an endocrine-disrupting agent and they are prompting manufacturers to warn consumers by clearly labeling products containing it. They were also quick to back the decision to ban the sale of products that contain BPA for babies.
It’s widely known that BPA is used in plastic but it might surprise you to find out that it is also in receipts and dollar bills among other things. Yep, just by touching those items your body is absorbing it. Lovely. It also leaches into food inside of cans because the inner lining of canned foods contains BPA. It gets into our food even without being heated.
It’s frustrating to believe you are making a healthy dinner for your family only to serve up the cancer causing compound. An interesting study was conducted last year by Silent Spring Institute and the Breast Cancer Fund. They found that when families ate fresh foods and avoided food in cans and food packaged in plastic for 3 days their BPA levels dropped on average by a whopping 60 percent! Canada no longer allows manufacturers to use it, it’s time for us to do the same.
There are alternatives, Janelle Sorensen, freelance environmentalist and former CCO, Healthy Child, Healthy World says, “Eden Foods uses a safer material and has agreed to make their ‘trade secrets’ public. The key to successful change is finding feasible alternatives. We have those in hand so with sustained consumer pressure, it shouldn’t be too long before we see the end of BPA used in food and beverage products.” I buy Eden Foods almost exclusively when buying canned foods because of this. The Breast Cancer Fund launched their ‘Cans Not Cancer’ campaign to urge manufacturers to uses a safer alternative in the lining of canned foods. Eden Foods does it why can’t everyone else?!
This 4 month old playful American Staff is a quick study, he already walks well on a leash & sits on command. If you are interested in adopting this handsome guy contact the Ventura County Animal Shelter 805.388.4341. Ask for # A572095
Try A New Sport I recently began taking tennis lessons with a few girlfriends and we are having a serious blast! Getting out in the fresh air and using your brain to actually learn the skill of a new sport is invigorating. We cart our kids around to all of their sporting events and practices, why not us?!
Volunteer It’s not news that doing good for others and giving of one’s time benefits the giver in many significant ways. Choose a cause that is near and dear to your heart and find out what type of help you can offer, even if it’s just 1 hour a week.
Get Plans On the Calendar Everyone is guilty of it, we run into someone we know and ‘talk’ about how we should get together. Pick up the phone, call one of those people you’ve been ‘meaning to make plans with,’ set a date, choose a venue and go have a good time!
Stop Wasting Time As busy as we are, we all do it to some extent. Take a look at some of the things that occupy your time and drop something that is holding you back, having a negative effect or just not furthering your cause.
Challenge Yourself It’s easy to get comfortable in our lives and just plug away day to day following the same routine. Is there something that you have always been tempted to try but were too scared… sky diving, bull riding, race car driving, running a marathon, learning an instrument, taking an exotic vacation, getting a tattoo… but fear is holding you back? Why not do it? Even if it’s something small, as Maya Angelou says, “do one thing every day that scares you.”
The internet makes it easier than ever to help those in need. Click To Give is a fast and simple way to make a bit of a difference and help some highly respected organizations without donating your own money. It’s as easy as one click of your mouse. While you’re surfing the net, take a second to visit Click To Give and select a cause from their menu (or select all six!):Feed The Children, Child Help (prevention and treatment of child abuse), ASPCA (America Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), The National Alliance to End Homelessness, The Children’s Cancer Center and Sponsor a Child.
Easter morning is some cuteness. It’s fun putting their baskets together and watching the hunt. The joy excitement they express is priceless! I want to give them the kind of happy Easter morning my mom gave me as a child.
“And he departed from our sight that we might return to our heart, and there find Him. For He departed, and behold, He is here.”
-St. Augustine, Confessions
- Go bananas. They’re full of potassium which has many health benefits including lowering blood pressure, stress and anxiety as well as reducing your risk of stroke. Bananas also have resistant starch, a type of fiber that is not absorbed so neither are as many calories and it’s been shown to improve insulin sensitivity
- Swimsuit season is here so there is no time like the present to kick it into gear and get into shape. Looking hot in a bikini is good motivation but an even better reason? Staying in shape is good cancer prevention. Being sedentary and over weight causes just as many cancer deaths as cigarette smoking! Research strongly suggests that fat encourages tumors to grow so hop on that treadmill while you watch the next episode of The Real Housewives
- Feeling a little sluggish during the day? You might not be drinking enough water. Dehydration can make you feel tired and it may slow your metabolism down. Stay hydrated and you’ll be more alert. Make it more palatable by adding a few slices of lemon, lime or orange
- Germs Like hard surfaces such as light switches, door knobs and remote controls so wipe them of regularly, especially after someone in your family has been ill. Research has found that one third of the surfaces in hotel rooms were still covered in germs a day later, even after the room was cleaned. Eeww. Good reason to pack some wipes.
- Are you looking to add more fiber and omega-3 fatty acids to your diet? Sprinkle ground flax seeds on yogurt, cereal, smoothies, nut butters and add some to your pancake and cookie mixes
Guest Post by Nicole Adams
Living in a large house may be your biggest dream, but it takes time to gain the goals of our lifetime. Until then, you can still have a pleasant domestic environment by creating a comfortable and cozy interior design. There are some great ideas to make small apartments and studios look amazing and make optimum use of the space while giving the illusion of being roomier.
1. Create zones with furniture placement. If your place is long and narrow or just one room without sections, we suggest you use one singular premise and turn it into two or even three by separating the space into zones. Use specific pieces of furniture to make accents on the zone and label it with decoration. Placing a bed and a small bedside table in one corner allows the other corner of the room to be designed as a living room with perhaps a black leather sofa and a contemporary glass coffee table.
2. Get creative with storage. Home storage can be a big challenge in a small space. Select specific and modern furniture with double functions. For instance, a large and compact table may be used for three things: a coffee table during lovely afternoons with friends, a dining table and even a spot where you can arrange books, magazines or kitchen appliances on the shelve under the table.
3. Go vertical by using your wall space. Arrange the biggest pieces of furniture in the center of the room. This will allow you to install cabinets and shelves on the walls for extra storage. Placing the table, sofa and armchairs in the corners of your studio limits the use of walls. Furthermore, when the biggest details in the interior design are in the center, it creates an illusion that the premise is larger.
Guest Author Bio: Nicole Adams is a writer, devoted mom and housewife. She enjoys writing about healthy home organizing, design trends and Barnes moving house.
We shower, wash our cars, water our plants, do our dishes, drench our lawns, drink our 8 glasses… it is very easy to take water for granted. We can’t live without it yet 783 million people on this planet do not have access to safe, clean drinking water.
A child dies every 20 seconds from a water-related illness
Today is World Water Day when we bring awareness to this global crisis and support those suffering every single day deprived of clean water and adequate sanitation. 90% of the nearly 2 million deaths caused by diarrheal diseases each year from lack of proper sanitation are in children under the age of 5. It’s a problem even here in the United States, 8% of us do not have access to clean drinking water. We need to raise awareness today and every day. WaterDay.org would like everyone to post photos via Instagram with the hashtag #waterday in support of the cause. You can also help by donating and spreading the word, tweet this and post it to Facebook.
“The crisis of our diminishing water resources is just as severe (if less obviously immediate) as any wartime crisis we have ever faced. Our survival is just as much at stake as it was at the time of Pearl Harbor, or the Argonne, or Gettysburg, or Saratoga”
~Jim Wright, U.S. Representative, The Coming Water Famine, 1966